I’ll never forget the shock and devastation I felt the day my wife told me we were through. Things had not been going well between us for a long time, but I never expected anything like this! It felt like a punch in the stomach and a stab in the back all at once.
I am very happy to say that we did not get divorced and are actually more happy now than ever before. But I nearly blew it with a series of mistakes that I thought were the right thing to do. Truth is, I didn’t have a clue how to save a failing marriage and I was too proud to ask for help. I thought things would get better on their own.
Boy was I wrong!
Here is the best advice I can give you based on the mistakes I made when my wife asked for a divorce, and what I ultimately did to turn things around:
- Do not beg or plead with your wife
- Do not make promises that you will change your behavior
- Do not keep saying, “But I love you!”
- Do not agree to move out if your name is on the mortgage
- Do not drink or use drugs to ease your sorrows
- Do not make threats
- Do not seek any type of revenge
- Do not make endless phone calls, texts or emails
- Do not try to buy her love with gifts
You need to do two things in order to make a good start:
- Be willing to accept help to save a failing marriage
- Be willing to take specific and powerful action!